I’ve gotten A LOT of questions about romantic orientations vs sexual orientations.
Like, a lot a lot.
So here’s a chart…thing.
Basically: Everyone has a romantic orientation, and everyone has a sexual orientation. Some people don’t even worry about the romantic orientations, and others (especially those on the ace spectrum) refer to the two as a combo thing. Like at Burger King.
So, to figure out “what you are,” just take one from column 1, and one from column 2, and mush them together.
(For example: If you’re a woman who sexually likes men but romantically likes all genders, you would be a heterosexual panromantic.)
I mean, not to be that guy on Tumblr who whines all the time, but I really don’t understand how polysexual and polyromantic are on here. Unless I’m wildly misinterpreting the terms, I assume they translate to “want to sexytimes more than one person at once” and “want to romancetimes more than one person at once”. They don’t have anything to do with the gender of the people you want to be with.
Same for me for demi/gray —I’ve known heterosexual demisexuals, and I don’t think that they’d necessarily want to pick just one of those two facts to identify with.
I’ve seen polysexual/polyromantic defined as “attraction to more than two genders, but not all of them.” I think it’s a useful concept to have in our mental toolboxes, and respect people’s right to identify as such -
but good lord, WHY did they have to pick a word that was so name-collidey with polyamory concepts?
This little infographic gives me so many rages, for all of the above reasons and more. But I think all I’m going to say right now is that I hate improperly derived words. The term for people like me in a certain way is transsexual, with two esses in the middle, because it is a word made of two parts. Similarly, if you want to make that word up there, it’s heteroromantic, and no, you don’t get to elide the duplicated “ro”.
On the other hand, I just got the greatest idea for a story about a fantasy world where the wizards practice heteromancy, so hey, there’s that.
Dani: Don’t you feel that “heteromantic” should be a school of magic, though?
me: I have only ever seen it written as heteroromantic before, so I’m just gonna chalk that up to typo? because heteromancy is totally something out of Harry Potter
Dani: I feel like there was a grand battle between the homomancers and the heteromancers somewhere in our world’s past, and the world has been in a heteromantic grip ever since.
me: ….hey, *that’s* why the wizards in Harry Potter all have crazy-heteronormative family structures!
Dani: An evil curse of heteromancy!
- invader-xero reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- thehandsofthehappiness reblogged this from tuckercoveredinskeletons
- doctorpizzawizard likes this
- watermelonspears reblogged this from tuckercoveredinskeletons
- watermelonspears likes this
- sexylightswitch likes this
- primrosetris likes this
- full-of-sad likes this
- aoharinezumi likes this
- invader-xero likes this
- franklyhemmo reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- g3orgiast3v3ns reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- g3orgiast3v3ns likes this
- madbiteywoman likes this
- tuckercoveredinskeletons reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- tuckercoveredinskeletons likes this
- lostandhaventbeenfound likes this
- minniemoose248 likes this
- minniemoose248 reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- tiredofbeingcrazy reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- shiny-team-freewill-at-221b reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- just-a-simple-cali-girl reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- just-a-simple-cali-girl likes this
- artymorale reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- edwardmotherfuckingsheeran likes this
- fandemonium96 likes this
- making-bass-rain-on-ed reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- adrunkenshavedmonkey reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- darkzstars reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- adrunkenshavedmonkey likes this
- horrifiedconfusion reblogged this from that-stupid-tardis-sound
- horrifiedconfusion likes this
- that-stupid-tardis-sound reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- that-stupid-tardis-sound likes this
- katswannapronblog reblogged this from katswannapronblog
- starshineandhappythoughts reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- basicbambi likes this
- elephants-always likes this
- inqontrol likes this
- lake-hold reblogged this from unholyguacmole
- unholyguacmole reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- royalref reblogged this from 20fsp
- sophien99 likes this
- kind-of-attached-to-my-tail likes this
- nextonormale likes this
- iamtemptation reblogged this from papakarkat
- papakarkat reblogged this from hijackedbyjohnkat
- goldeneyez07 reblogged this from kogiopsis
- brightnessdavar likes this
- kogiopsis reblogged this from fallingivy