I’ve gotten A LOT of questions about romantic orientations vs sexual orientations.
Like, a lot a lot.
So here’s a chart…thing.
Basically: Everyone has a romantic orientation, and everyone has a sexual orientation. Some people don’t even worry about the romantic orientations, and others (especially those on the ace spectrum) refer to the two as a combo thing. Like at Burger King.
So, to figure out “what you are,” just take one from column 1, and one from column 2, and mush them together.
(For example: If you’re a woman who sexually likes men but romantically likes all genders, you would be a heterosexual panromantic.)
I mean, not to be that guy on Tumblr who whines all the time, but I really don’t understand how polysexual and polyromantic are on here. Unless I’m wildly misinterpreting the terms, I assume they translate to “want to sexytimes more than one person at once” and “want to romancetimes more than one person at once”. They don’t have anything to do with the gender of the people you want to be with.
Same for me for demi/gray —I’ve known heterosexual demisexuals, and I don’t think that they’d necessarily want to pick just one of those two facts to identify with.
I’ve seen polysexual/polyromantic defined as “attraction to more than two genders, but not all of them.” I think it’s a useful concept to have in our mental toolboxes, and respect people’s right to identify as such -
but good lord, WHY did they have to pick a word that was so name-collidey with polyamory concepts?
This little infographic gives me so many rages, for all of the above reasons and more. But I think all I’m going to say right now is that I hate improperly derived words. The term for people like me in a certain way is transsexual, with two esses in the middle, because it is a word made of two parts. Similarly, if you want to make that word up there, it’s heteroromantic, and no, you don’t get to elide the duplicated “ro”.
On the other hand, I just got the greatest idea for a story about a fantasy world where the wizards practice heteromancy, so hey, there’s that.
Dani: Don’t you feel that “heteromantic” should be a school of magic, though?
me: I have only ever seen it written as heteroromantic before, so I’m just gonna chalk that up to typo? because heteromancy is totally something out of Harry Potter
Dani: I feel like there was a grand battle between the homomancers and the heteromancers somewhere in our world’s past, and the world has been in a heteromantic grip ever since.
me: ….hey, *that’s* why the wizards in Harry Potter all have crazy-heteronormative family structures!
Dani: An evil curse of heteromancy!
- queenygritte likes this
- janethestrider reblogged this from assvengerbootyshorts
- spiegelsplitter likes this
- assvengerbootyshorts reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- co-exist-ing likes this
- gulliversfuzzypickle likes this
- oranythingreally reblogged this from pterodactyltamer
- oranythingreally likes this
- pterodactyltamer likes this
- pterodactyltamer reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- lshgkpd12 likes this
- grantairias likes this
- aparkerd likes this
- write-out-your-hearts-desire likes this
- mysticalmoonmagic likes this
- superwholockianavenger reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- louiekafka likes this
- cloveasthouwilt likes this
- thatlesbianchick102 likes this
- petitlitterateur likes this
- matthewp99 likes this
- nineinchnihils likes this
- xarcanexheartx reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- xarcanexheartx likes this
- a-curious-little-monkey reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- kittyfactory likes this
- pray-to-jahvie reblogged this from omgdoxileblog
- omgdoxileblog reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- omgdoxileblog likes this
- your-gayest-nightmare reblogged this from excusemebutiquit
- supernothinq reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- supernothinq likes this
- play-my-heart-strings reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- play-my-heart-strings likes this
- tintinchow reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- teamfree221b reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- handhair reblogged this from littlelionfacehearmeroar
- givealittlemoar reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- that-elephant-girl reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- sabbybrina reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- simplygabriellanna likes this
- bewitched-feathers reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- littlelionfacehearmeroar reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- iiswhoiis328 likes this
- clararip likes this
- in-fucking-saaane reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- dozeyselkey likes this
- excusemebutiquit reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- laurels-a-rainbow reblogged this from haveagaydayorg
- sparkly-unicorn-dust reblogged this from haveagaydayorg